Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Trip to the Library

My house sits at the border between two counties.  One is country, open, spacious and low key.  The other is city, suburbian life at it's highest.  As you can guess, I'm in country  heaven.  Normally I don't mind becuase there are plus sides but I'm not here to sell you my house.

I'm here to tell you about my recent trip to the library.  The country, we only have 3 branches and neither of them are close to each other, library. 

Let me back up a bit and say that I read like it's going out of style.  And I used to, and still am, love buying new books.  I'm an authors dream.  I can spend way too much money at a bookstore that probably rivals many women's obsession with shoes.  As a matter of fact, when I went to Ireland, I was so excited to visit a locally owned bookstore, you'd think I discovered the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  When my hubs bought me a Nook for Christmas, I tore into that thing, charged it and purchased books.  Like 10 the first day.  The reason for the Nook was because I was running out of space.

So, feeling the economy crunch, I thought I'd at least try the library and get books that are older and not spend the money on them especially for books in a series.  What if I don't like the series after one book?  Plus a good friend of mine visits the book mobile like every week!  (Yeah, she gets good books.  She must be bribing them with coffee and sweets!)

I went online and searched the libraries' records and found my book and even reserved it.  I felt really good.  I even picked up the kids early to take them with me.  Yeah the on-line high carried me over to mom time. 

After sitting in traffic to drive out into the country to the library, my book wasn't even there!  NOT THERE!  I was like What?  It said it was there and that's why I reserved it.  Ms. Librarian was like I'm sorry. 

Feeling like a dumby who can't figure out the reservation system for country library, I went to the YA section to find something else to read.  I even had my Goodreads list pulled up on my phone.  When I passed under the archway, I was appalled by the section.  Sure they had their one copy of Twilight but nothing else, really.  Or at least nothing else I wanted.  And then I remembered my last trip to the library when I discovered they didn't keep many of the new releases I wanted. 

I know what you're thinking.  "But that's to be expected at the library, Jen."  I know but I could have sworn with older books I wouldn't have such a hard time. 

Oh, well.  Live and learn.  Right?

I'm not giving up.  I'm going to try this library thing again.  The good news.  I can check out 15 books at a time! *happy dance* 

No comments:

Post a Comment