Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Book Nibbles...Sort of

As I mentioned before, the week of Christmas I wouldn't be pimping out any particular book but I am sort of.  And a movie.

This week on Book Nibbles, I'm showcasing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, both movie and novel.

Here is a link to the trailer and site for the movie. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Poster

As for the novel, you can check it out here on Amazon.

My two cents...
I tried reading the book.  Honestly.  Forty pages in and I just couldn't stay focused and not because of the story or writing style.  There are a lot of names and places mentioned during the beginning of the book and I found myself trying to figure each out and commit it to memory.  Alas, I failed.  However, I've been told by many that the first 60 pages or so are hard but once you get past them, you'll sail through.  Heck, I have a friend who read the entire book in one day.  Now, I'm a fast reader, but dang.  That book is long! 

I did, however, see the movie the other night and WOW!  Totally intense, graphic, on the edge of your seat kind of stuff.  And from what I understand, it is very true to the book only changing a few details and from what I understand those are minor. 

There is only a few things I did not like about the movie and those are really my own personal hang-ups.  The rape.  Yikes, I cannot handle a movie with rape but I pulled my big girl panties on and forged through and didn't let it ruin the movie for me.  And it didn't.  It was great and the cliffhanger ending totally puts me in Twilight mode waiting for the next installment.  (waiting like a silly girl!)

I will warn you, the movie is graphic.  I mean, rape aside, there is consensual sex, violence, blood, foul language and torture. 

Now, you may wonder.  Will I give the book another try so I can read #2 to prepare for the movie.  I don't know.  I want to but the same thing happened with the Harry Potter series.  I watched all the movies, up to 6, and then tried to read the books.  Got to #3 and was totally done with it.  The movie did help to play out the scenes and names in my head but I just couldn't get into them enough where I devoured the entire series in a matter of days. 

Which leads to my question, have you read the book and seen the movie?  Or are you like me and enjoy the visual only?

1 comment:

  1. I have tried to read this book twice! I cannot get past the first few chapters. It is SOOOO boring. My bff says I will love it and I need to get past those and it will be good. Everyone at the library that brings it back loves it also. I have not seen the movie but I want to

    ReplyDelete