Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pay it Forward

Have you ever seen the movie Pay It Forward?  If you haven't, go rent it.  It's a great movie with a wonderful message.  Something that I think all writers can appreciate.
I'm not talking about just buying a fellow authors book but the advice and steps authors offer to those of use starting out.  Share what you've done that has been successful with others.
And that's what I'd like to do today.
When I started out, I was lost, completely, utterly lost.  I knew I needed to write but then what.  And at that time I purchased a book about book publishing and I think it was out of date because it mostly talked about snail mailing copies of your manuscript.
WHAT!  Did they have any idea how much that would cost me?  Where they crazy?
So I asked a HS friend who had mentioned something about getting a literary agent.  *light bulb on*  And here is what she offered (plus some of my own input):
1. Write everyday.  Starting a blog helps.  Keeps the mojo moving.
2. Get connected.  Start a twitter account and start following people.  Follow authors you like.  Follow newbie authors.
3. Research agents.  There are tons of list out there.  I started with Agent Query. Once you have some names, look at the agents' individual sites.  Follow them on twitter, Google+, stalk them.
4. Keep writing and finish your manuscript.  Authors don't want a partial.  When you start the query process, they want a finished product.
5. Stay educated.  Take an online query course.  I took CJ Redwine's query and synopsis writing course.  Both were short and convenient.  And the feedback was golden.

I don't have an agent but like I've said before, I'm not sure I want one.  However, I still follow a few just keep up on the info.  Agents can offer a lot of valuable information even if they aren't representing you.
Good luck and hit me up with some questions and I'll see if I can help.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jen! You are going to be my go-to gal! (You are already expanding my writing horizons, this is the first time I have ever commented on a blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice here, JA.Here's how I feel about it. We're all here to help each other. I'm published because another writer gave me some good advice. We're all in this together.

    ReplyDelete