Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

I need your advice...

The past few months, I've been thinking about joining an official writer's organization. There are a few things holding me back. I've asked a few writer friends their thoughts and I get answers on both sides of the fence.

For example, Romance Writers of America (RWA) is huge! I mean like whoa momma! I know a lot of writers who have joined and for the most part, I think they are happy with their membership. The difference between them and me. I'm new. Still wet behind the ears while they're seasoned. Does joining a large writing group such as this, help me get established? A close writer friend hasn't joined only because there isn't a local chapter in her area. I've got a local chapter and I even know a member (email only).

There's also a local Writer's Guild. I'm really stand-offish about this one. Here's why. A year or so ago, when I started looking into networking and getting on the social media train, I looked into joining our local guild. But I wasn't allowed. Shocked by this, I looked into it. If I was an unpublished writer, I could only join if I were a student. I was neither at the time and I think the entire situation left me with a bad taste. To me, writing groups are there to help and this one only wanted those published writers among their ranks. What ever happened to cultivating?

I did recently sign up on line (still waiting on approval) to the YALITCHAT group. I'm anxious to dive into this group and get my self dirty with knowledge!

What do you think? Are you a member of a group? If so which one? Do you find it beneficial? Too expensive? Are their groups I should be looking into joining? Please leave a comment. I'm biting my nails in anticipation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen! I joined RWA before I was published. It was worth every penny of the membership fee. Not only do you have online resources, your local group provides tremendous support. My group allows people to attend the meetings and "try us on for size" a few times before committing to joining. We have excellent workshops every month. For example, this year we have Allison Brennan, Bob Mayer, and Virna DePaul giving Saturday classes. We even had Margie Lawson last year! Don't let the bad taste of one group spoil things for you. Decide what you want to get out of a membership. Then find a group that you like and that fits your needs. Good luck in your search for a writing group.

    ReplyDelete