Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars review



I'm sure my review will get lost in the thousands already left before me. I will admit, while I'm a follower on Twitter and familiar with the author, I've never read anything by him. He's on my TBR list. Anyway, when my MIL shared her unread copy, I stole away in a quiet room and dived in.
OMG!

Usually, I'm not a fan of a male author portraying a female MC but in this case, Mr. Green did it. I never once felt like a guy was talking to me but I have to wonder if he ever felt embarrassed or weird writing how "hot" Gus was.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like to have a friend, let alone, someone you love deeply, suffer and die from anything. I watched my grandmother quickly deal with her liver cancer and I don't think it compared to what was revealed in this book. I laughed, I cried and I even had to set it aside for a day to recollect my thoughts. As a parent, I couldn't help but picture my own child suffering and how either of them would feel losing the love of their life when they themselves were on the brink of death.

The touches of humor made this story feel real. We often do that. Find a bright, if not ugly, spot within the mess.

This was a lovely, touching story and I'm a little ashamed to say that I can't wait to watch the movie. I'm sure that was a motivating factor when I finally grabbed a copy. This story almost reminds me, in a self sacrificing way but in a more real, hard language, A Walk to Remember. Well done and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment