Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

What will they sound like?

I’m attending a Reader and Author Get Together this weekend and I’m stoked!  I’ve never been to a conference before and I’ll be the virgin in my group.  I’m meeting up with my writer friend Julie and her crazy book blogger Nikki.  Along with them, there are other writers we all know and follow on Twitter (if you haven’t joined, what the heck are you waiting for?  An invitation?  Forget it.  No invite needed!)  Watch out Ohio, here comes trouble!
When you read a book, do you have a particular voice planted in your mind on how the characters sound?  And by voice, I mean, their pitch.  How they actually sound when they speak.
I do.  Sure some writers will describe how their characters sound with a thick Irish brogue or a lithe sounding voice, but usually I make my own determination.
So you have their voice in your head and you’re walking through life pretty content and then BAM, the movie turns into a book.  Are you disappointed?  Did they get it right?  For example, when you watched Twilight, did Robert do Edward justice?  Personally, no but don’t worry Twi-Hards, I am so Pro-R.Pat/K.Stew but when I heard Edward’s voice in my head when I read, he sounded nothing like Robert.  What about Harry Potter?  Did Daniel do it for you? 
So, what does this have to do with my conference this weekend?  I’ve never met either of these ladies but I already have in my head what they sound like.  Am I right?  Who knows?  Will I be disappointed?  Only if they sound like 95 year old woman who chained smoked their entire life.  Why?  They might sound sexier than me! 
Ha! Ha!  But seriously.  I’m going to be spending an entire weekend with them.  I have a feeling the squealing will never stop while the drinks keep on flowing.
I’ll let you know if Julie’s voice sounds as sugary and sweet as she writes and Nikki’s is as sultry and quick as I imagine.  Let the good times roll!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo??? Out with it? What's the verdict? Sugary sweet? Quick and sultry? These chicks are so hilarious, it wouldn't matter if they croaked and breathed fire, we'd still love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I was dead on with the voices. These girls rocked!

    ReplyDelete