Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Inspiration

Some of my family and friends have asked me where I get my ideas. What inspires me?

After a few minutes of acting silly, blushing and fumbling my words, I eventually say "I don't know." Sure I know, but this writing thing is still new and wrapping my head around the fact that I am one, still eludes me.

The answer to their question is everything. Anything.

I took a walk yesterday around the lake in our subdivision, enjoying the weird winter weather and everything around me could be a new story. Maybe not an entire story, but a scene of one. For example, maybe a girl drowns in the lake and someone taking a walk, like me, happens upon the body. Boom, a mystery to solve.

Or two people, walking hand and hand stop at bench. Her hair blows across her face sticking into the gloss she's slicked across her lips. The biting sting of the wind is only challenged by the sun's heat as she looks up to the sky, pulling in the courage to grab this boy and kiss him. Sure, it's not a story line but it makes for good stuff in a story.

Now, I'll ask you. What inspires you?

If you're feeling blocked, I say step away from your day-to-day life for a minute. Take a walk. Go to the mall and watch people. Read a book. Anything and everything can be your next story.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment