Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

NaNo Status Check

So, we're just about a week in NaNo and I have to ask. How's it goin'? Are you on track? Are the words flying from your head to computer?

Or, are they not flowing? Do you want to give up? Are you lost?

First off, don't stop. Keep writing. Especially if this is your first try; keep going. Even if you don't make it to the end or come up short, at least you tried and know what to do differently next time.

If your story is twisting and turning and your not sure what the heck is going on, stop for a minute and write out a short outline or bullet points. I get it. I'm the biggest pantser there is but I've also learned that sometimes you need to write a few details down. I'm not talking Roman numerals but jot some thoughts or timeline ideas on paper. You'll soon see the benefits.

I will admit I'm not where I was last year at this point. I'm still on track to finish on time but last year, I was ahead of the game which came in handy around the long holiday weekend (and the turkey coma I was in for a few days). Day 1 in 2011, I'd written 5K words. Now, I haven't hit 10K yet (plan to today and surpass it). Maybe it's the baby. Or the kids are busy. Or my job takes more of my time. *shrugs* Or it's all three.

Either way. I'm not giving up. I have a plan and I will finish.

So be like that ant. Have high hopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment