Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

To finish or not to finish

Have you ever read a book and decided after a few pages, heck a few paragraphs, to put it aside? The writing or story either didn't grab you or was riddled with typos? What did you do afterwards? Did you write a review giving the person 0 stars? Or did you do nothing. Set it aside and grab the next book to read?

I was faced with this same decision last week. Except, I didn't stop reading. And on the first page alone I read many, many typos and then later found blaring inconsistencies with the story. I even stopped reading, deciding not to finish only to pick it back up, hoping it got better.

It didn't and the mistakes continued until the last page.

I'm not a reviewer. I'm a writer and a reader. I can usually read about anything (fiction) or at least try to read anything. And I think as a writer, I'd hoped it got better as I went. We all have a shaky start. Those first few pages are what will make or break you. If you can't grab someone's attention by then, stick a fork in it. It's done.

After I finished, I felt I needed to do something. I still do. Do I write the author and say, listen, you really need to edit this baby again. Even though I think the book is self pubbed, which shouldn't matter, maybe she doesn't have people around her to say, "hey, that's not right" or isn't backed by a publishing house that will take her under their wing and make her book better. The story line was cute enough to make me purchase the book.

I'm not going to tell you what book it was, that wouldn't be nice. I'm not going to leave a review on GoodReads with one star for effort and 2 for courage because I know what it's like to read a bad review of my own books. Not nice at all. Me not mentioning the title is review enough.

Even not doing all this to avoid hurting anyone's feelings, I'm compelled to do something. Wouldn't you want to know if there were mistakes?

Are you published? Self or otherwise. Would you appreciate a note from someone in your field offering some advice? Or are we too proud to accept? I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment