Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

8 Authors in 2 Weeks

Have you heard the one about how a sweet romance became a book? No? Well, hunker down and I'll tell you a little story...

My Brother’s Wedding wasn’t a story I was dying to write. In fact, I didn’t have a clue it lingered in my head until I was attending a TMP meeting. Our boss was describing changes with our new category romance lines and she explained how all the books within each line would have similar covers. For example, Next Door covers would be a blue wavy design with the title at the top and the author’s name at the bottom but the middle pictures were customized for each book. She shared mock-ups and used me for one of them. And she titled this fictitious book My Brother’s Wedding.
The more I stared at the cover and enjoyed seeing my name and title on the cover, the more I hashed out a story in my head. As you might know from my Honey Creek stories, I’m a huge fan of the boy next door type of stories. High school loves. People who share a past. Maybe it stems from my own relationship with my high school sweetheart or maybe I’m just a romantic who likes to keep it close to home! Who knows. But as I began writing the story, I knew I wanted to feature St. Louis. In fact, the coffee house, MoKaBe’s, Ryan and Allison share lunch at is one of my favorite places in St. Louis. And the bridal shop is the very location I purchased my own wedding gown many years ago.
Originally, the story evolved into more of a women’s fiction book, which never felt complete to me. I want romance. I want my characters to have a HEA ending. So with some cutting and deleting, I finally arrived at the sweet story we have today.

It’s funny where we find inspiration. For My Brother’s Wedding, it all started with a cover!

You can find your copy of Sweet But Sexy at the following retailers:

No comments:

Post a Comment