Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Longest Ride review

Let me start out by saying that I'm a Nicholas Sparks fan. I have been since The Notebook (duh!) and while many find his stuff predictable and soft, those are the things I look to and enjoy. I know there will be a HEA but the journey is the best part. I fall head-over-heels for the heros and want to throw darts at the bad guy. And I always end up crying at some point.

Last year, I bought The Longest Yard, realizing I hadn't read one of his books in awhile. But after twenty or so pages, I put it down, shocked that I wasn't as engrossed as usual. Then I saw the previews for the movie and became determined to finish the book. I owed it to myself and NS to finish.

(Cover from GoodReads)


So I did, and while there was a HEA I wasn't as pleased with the entire book. I did read the acknowledgement and understand, while reading, that much research and feeling went into this book. Even making me wonder if when writing, was the author going through his own personal stuff and reflecting.

I couldn't get a good read on Luke, finding his speech a little staggered and short but not in the "I'm a tough guy and I don't speak much". At times, the romance or relationship between Luke and Sophia felt awkward and uncomfortable.

I did enjoy most of Ira and Ruth's story even though I skimmed some of the internal monologue. You truly felt that he was a guy completely in love with the woman and reading his last letter did make me cry a little.

A few years back, a writer friend shared with me that she gets so frustrated with typos in published books and at the time, I never really paid attention. Maybe its because I hadn't grown as a writer, but now I do notice but I usually don't comment. And I could be mistaken, but parts of this felt head hoppy and I was a little taken back on what POV the chapter was focusing on. And why were Ira's chapters in 1st person (for the most part) and the others no?

All in all, I give this a 3 stars because while I didn't love it, I did enjoy certain parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment