Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Night Circus Review

In my attempt to NOT purchase new books to read, I grabbed an already bought copy of Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern from my bookshelf. After reading Divergent, I read somewhere that fans of the series enjoyed this book as well.


First off, how can pass this book by? Look at that cover! Love it. My copy had an additional page with the silhouette of a gentleman and lady on the front.

I'll admit, it took me awhile to really get into this book. I enjoy a little more angst or romance driven strife in my reading and the two main characters don't interact much in the beginning sections of the book.

Here's the blurb from GoodReads:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.


My heart ached for Celia and the torment her father put her through, while I felt bad for Marco, he seemed to manage well under the circumstances until he discovers the truth behind the game. The secondary characters added more than meager lines. They will eventually be the backbone to the solution. 

I recommend this book but warn that you might feel lost, if this isn't your normal type of read. But keep with it. If anything, enjoy the pageantry of the game, the scenery of the circus and eventual emotional attachment you'll have for Celia and Marco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment