Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Paying for fan fiction rant...sort of.

Apparently there's an erotic book series out there that is based on Twilight. Well, I haven't read the book (not that I'm a prude) but I've heard that if it is, it's a stretch.

I've recently purchased an e-book for a series that sounded a lot like a certain motorcycle TV show that I'm obsessed about watching. Now, while I can't seem to stop purchasing the books in the series (I've only bought 2 out of like 10) I can't help but wonder, should I really be paying for fan fiction.

I have nothing with people that write FF. I mean, there is some really creative stuff out there. I did, years ago, stumble across a racy story pulling characters from Twilight and placing them in a rather juicy story. Now, while the character names where the same the story line was WAY different and not YA at all. And I didn't pay for it. It was a free read. The writer told a very good story that sucked me in and it was free. There is an entire website (or 2) that offer FF for free.

And maybe I loved the story because of my Twi love, who knows but now, I can't help but wonder if I should pay for FF. They aren't made to be completely original ideas, especially the story I've currently read. Should I continue to pay when there are hundreds of thousands of original works out there? Is it fare to those of us who struggle with writing new stories that grab a readers attention.

And don't get me started on the price of the very short story. Let's save that for another day.

What are your thoughts? Are you a FF fan? Should writers charge for non-original words?

I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment